auto declarations

Piotr Szturmaj bncrbme at jadamspam.pl
Fri Jan 7 13:42:08 PST 2011

Ellery Newcomer wrote:

> auto a = 1, b = null;
>
> int a = 1, *b = null;
>

> The first is accepted by dmd, and it should result in typeof(a) == int
> and typeof(b) == void*. It is somewhat contradictory to the error
> message resulting from the second:
>
> multiple declarations must have the same type, not int and int*
>
> I am skeptical of dmd's permitting the first. Does anyone else see any
> utility in it?

Personally, I like it. In second line you specify int type, and list of
*int* variables.
In first line you specify list of initialized variables which types
should be inferred automatically. I see no reason why first line should
not be permitted.
If one would need several variables of one type, why he wouldn't specify
exact type instead of using 'auto'?