Is there any way I can have one handler for multiple exceptions?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jul 11 15:18:51 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-11 15:08, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I'm trying to do something like the following:
>
> import std.exception;
>
> class Foo : Exception
> {
> this(string msg) { super(msg); }
> }
>
> class Bar : Exception
> {
> this(string msg) { super(msg); }
> }
>
> void main()
> {
> try
> {
> }
> catch (Foo) catch (Bar)
> {
>
> Some function might throw two types of exceptions, but I don't care
> which one it is, I'd like to handle them both within one catch block.
> Is this possible?
>
> My use case is for the cmdln.interact library, I'm using userInput!()
> to get an integer from the user and the function can throw either a
> NoInputException or ConvException, but I don't really care which one
> it is because if either exception is thrown my next action is to use a
> predefined default.
>
> Their base class is Exception, but catching all forms of Exceptions is
> a bad idea.

No. You can only catch one exception type with a particular catch statement.
So, if you can't use a base class to catch just the ones that you want to
catch, then you have to have separate catch statements for each exception
type. But you can always use a function or delegate for the exception handling
inside of the catch block if you want to. Or you could catch Exception and
then rethrow it if it's not the right type.

- Jonathan M Davis