Uninitialized floating-point exceptions -> optional compile-time warnings?

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 19:15:09 PDT 2011

I'm wondering about this:

void main()
{
    import std.math;
    FloatingPointControl fpc;
    fpc.enableExceptions(FloatingPointControl.severeExceptions);

    float foo;
}

Declaring uninitialized floating point variables after enabling severe
exceptions will throw at runtime:
object.Error: Invalid Floating Point Operation

I don't know whether this is intentional or not, if it is then:

Why not make this an optional compile-time warning as well? The
compiler is smart enough to figure out that foo was declared
uninitialized. Perhaps we could add another switch for this purpose.

I'm running into a lot of these uninitialized floating-point issues
lately, and that's exactly why I'm using FloatingPointControl. However
this is only useful at runtime. If the compiler can catch some of
these at compile-time via some optional switch that would make the
situation much better.