optlink options to reduce file size?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:00:34 PDT 2011

On 27.07.2011 21:16, simendsjo wrote:
> On 27.07.2011 15:45, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> On 27.07.2011 15:21, simendsjo wrote:
>>> A simple hello world like dfl application takes 1.2mb. Upx does a
>>> great job packing this to 200k, but I wonder if there is a way to make
>>> optlink generate smaller executables?
>>>
>>> I couldn't find a way to get help on the numerous options in optlink,
>>> and the help page at digitalmars doesn't list them either.
>> I've noticed around two times smaller exes when linked with unilink. So
>> if you don't like packing you may try it:
>> ftp://ftp.styx.cabel.net/pub/UniLink/ulnb0319.zip
>> <ftp://ftp.styx.cabel.net/pub/UniLink/>
>> just make sure you configured it correctly (should be straightforward,
>> there are examples)
>>

> Thanks. Any idea if unilink works with libraries linked with optlink?
> I get "Error: Invalid library file (3) 'some optlink.lib'"

For what it's worth any D2 app uses phobos.lib and obviously that
worked. Not that it was linked, library is a sort of a package with obj
files. Also check if this is in fact library it might very well be
renamed executable in which case 2 first bytes of file are 'MZ'.
It should work with both OMF (DMC, old MS VC++ etc.) and COFF (MinGW,
modern MS C++ etc.) libraries.

--
Dmitry Olshansky