DMD Backend: Deciding instructions to use/avoid?

Dan Olson zans.is.for.cans at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 08:55:29 PDT 2011

Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> writes:

> I'm having an Intel Core 2 Duo. Don't know if it helps but when I run
> the pre-compiled DMD on the 6.06 box I get an errors message similar
> to: "Floating point exception".

A long shot, but this sounds like a problem I hit trying to run some C
code binaries on an older system. Try googling for FPE and gnuhash. When
binaries are built with a newer ld option --hash-style=gnu, running on
systems with an older loader with fail wth an FPE. For backwards
compatability you have to use --hash-style=both or sysv.

I don't use D on linux and don't know how it passes options to ld. You
can use objdump to show if a .gnu.hash section is being used. And on
older systems, the man page for ld won't list --hash-style.

--
Dan