Install DWT2 using DMD and Tango

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:59:25 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Fabian <contact-fab at freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm trying to install DWT2 to create GUI applications with D.
> I have downloaded DWT2 with TortoiseHg already and I've installed Ruby and
> Rake. But when I try to build the packages I get the following error
> message:
>
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/dwt2error.png/
>
> Is there anybody who can help me?
> I believe it's possible to use DWT2 and Tango - isn't it?

It's called DWT2 because it's a port of the existing DWT code to D2. Tango
is a replacement standard library for D1, so no, they can't really be used
together.
I'm not sure about the state of DWT1, but it should be fairly stable, even
if it hasn't been worked on recently.

As an overview, D1 originally had Phobos as the standard library, but it
wasn't that great, so an independent team built Tango as a replacement.
Tango hasn't ever officially shipped with DMD, the reference compiler, but
it's pretty much become the standard for D1 (with a few exceptions and
attempts to reconcile it with Phobos).
Nowadays, we have D2 and Phobos2 (which is generally just called Phobos).
There's an ongoing project to port Tango to D2 as well, and Druntime, the
runtime library, has been separated from Phobos2 to hopefully make Tango and
Phobos2 coexist if/when that D2 port is completed (back in D1, Phobos and
Tango both included their own runtimes, so you couldn't use both at the same
time). In the meantime, Phobos2 far better than Phobos1, and Andrei has been
leading its development.

"Learn to Tango with D" obviously refers to D1/Tango
"The D Programming Language" refers to D2/Phobos2

Hopefully that makes everything a bit clearer.