Is it reasonable to learn D

Lloyd Dupont ld-REMOVE at galador.net
Mon Jun 13 02:33:18 PDT 2011

Let's learn together then! :P
http://galador.net/codeblog/?tag=/D

While my blog post are only about setting up the environment so far.. I have
delved in the code for 2 weeks now! (Although I had some day off (work and
programing) in Darwin) I'm right into it now, should have a new blog post
soon! About programing this time!

My verdict: it's frustrating yes. But D has a couple of advantages and 2
that you might like:
- D has event / delegate, just like C# (and unlike C++, or maybe C++ has
them, (it has method pointer, right!?) but it's not taken advantage of!)
- the above point is probably what makes the C++ GUI so... difficult.
Whereas I found a GUI API for D just like WinForm! (DGui!)

In short summary I found these cool things:

VisualD 0.3.24 (plugin for programing from Visual Studio)
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald

VisualD NOTE: (system tweaks)(required) : edit sc.ini
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/KnownIssues#Librarysearchpathnotpassedtolinker

DGui 02052011 (WinForm like API)
http://code.google.com/p/dgui/

Doost (r88) (serialization)
http://www.dsource.org/projects/doost

Windows API r371
http://dsource.org/projects/bindings/wiki/WindowsApi

"Fabian"  wrote in message news:islvgf$1b61$1 at digitalmars.com...

Dear D Community,
is it reasonable to learn D?
I've found a lot of good points for D but I've found a lot of negative
points too. I believe that I needn't to list all the point for D but I
want to give a few examples against learning D I've read in some German
and English boards:

- The D compiler has only bad code optimization
- There are no maintained GUI libraries
- The development of the compiler is very slow
- Only a small community
=> no real German community

So I ask you - Is it reasonable to learn D?
I'm looking forward to your answers.

Greetings Fabian

PS: If you want to contact me you are allowed to write an Email to me.
contact-fab at freemail.de