Need to do some "dirty" UTF-8 handling

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Jun 25 17:29:57 PDT 2011

"Dmitry Olshansky" <dmitry.olsh at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:iu5tan$ets$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 26.06.2011 3:25, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Dmitry Olshansky"<dmitry.olsh at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:iu5n32$2vjd$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> std.encoding to the rescue?
>>> It looks like a well established module that was forgotten for some
>>> reason.
>>>
>>> And here I'm wondering what a function named sanitize could do :)
>>>
>> Ahh, I didn't even notice that module.
>
> Same here, It's just a couple of days(!) ago I somehow managed to find
> decode in the wrong place (in std.encoding  instead of std.utf). And it
> looked useful, but I never heard about it. Seriously, how many totally
> irrelevant old modules we have around here? (hint: std.gregorian!)
>> Even if it's imperfect and goes away, it looks like it'll at least get
>> the
>> job done for me. And the encoding conversions should even give me an easy
>> way to save at least some of the invalid chars (which wasn't really a
>> requirement of mine, but it'll still be nice).
>>

> Yeah, given the amount of necessary work in the Phobos realm it could hang
> around for quite sometime ;)

Yea, and even when it does go, I can just copy it and include it manually
(although it'll probably need some work once typedef goes away).

This seems to get the job done well enough for me, and even manages to save
some of the intended chars:

// With std.utf and std.encoding imported:
string src = ...;
bool valid=true;
try
    validate(src);
catch(UtfException e)
    valid=false;

if(!valid)
{
    auto tmpStr = sanitize( cast(Windows1252String) src );
    transcode(tmpStr, src);