Get parent Tid of a thread?

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 15:12:17 PDT 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:59:47 +0200, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:

> Is there any way a newly spawned thread can get the Tid of the thread
> that spawned it, basically its parent? I'd prefer that over using this:
>
> __gshared mainThread; // so workThread can access it
>
> {
> mainThread = thisTid();
> auto workThread = spawn(&MidiThread);  // local }

Just pass it in as the first parameter:

import std.stdio;
import std.concurrency;

void workerThread(Tid owner)
{
    // ...

    writeln("worker's thisTid: ", &thisTid);
    assert(owner != thisTid);
}

void main()
{
    writeln("owner's thisTid : ", &thisTid);
    Tid worker = spawn(&workerThread, thisTid);
}

Interestingly the two variables will have the same address but they are
not equal as the assert above passes:

owner's thisTid : 46B58C
worker's thisTid: 46B58C

Ali