Doubt about Synchronized Code Clocks

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Mar 1 08:38:32 PST 2011

On Tuesday 01 March 2011 06:40:31 d coder wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I have a doubt about synchronized code blocks.
>
> I learnt that in Java the synchronized keyword has two fold effect.
> Firstly it locks the code to make sure that only a single thread gets
> access to the code block at a given time. Secondly, it makes sure that
> the data elements accessed inside the code block are not "stale". As a
> result Java programming practice is to synchronize even access
> functions that access shared data elements.
>
> How about D? Does D synchronized keyword just result in mutex locking
> of the code block? Or does it also ensure that the accessed shared
> data elements are not stale?

I'm afraid that I have no idea what would be "stale" about a shared variable.
sychronized uses a mutex, and if you want to avoid race conditions, you need to
use mutexes or something similar when dealing with shared variables. But I don't
know what would be "stale" about a variable.

- Jonathan M Davis