in/out with -release

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 05:23:19 PST 2011

On 03/05/2011 01:58 PM, bearophile wrote:
> Jonathan M Davis:
>
>> Asserts are for
>> debugging, testing, and verifying code when developing, not for code which is
>> released.
>
> If you take a look at the dmd compiler, it's released with asserts in, and they give all those nice error messages I put in Bugzilla :-)

lol!
I have a similar problem in designing the implementation of a toy language: the
issue is that users of the runtime are, for instance, lib developpers, which
own users are developpers in the source language beeing implemented, for their
own final users...
This makes it rather abstract to think at what is, or should be, the
realisation of an error spit by the runtime. It cannot be a normal error from
the implementation language, and also not an error of the source language. I
had to write my own // error system.

Denis