dmd & gdc in archlinux

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Mar 7 09:58:42 PST 2011

On Monday, March 07, 2011 09:09:02 Andrew Wiley wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:55 PM, %u <asmasm at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > == Quote from %u (asmasm at hotmail.com)'s article
> >
> >> i can't install it and i use this command
> >> yaourt -R gdc
> >
> > i mean yaourt -S gdc
>
> It looks like in the official repositories, we have dmd, but you're
> not installing libtango or libphobos. You must install one of them.
> If you're after D2, you're back in the AUR with gdc2-hg or dmd2/libphobos2.

For anyone wanting dmd, I'd advise simply downloading the zip file, unzipping it
wherever you want it and add /path/to/unzipped/dmd2/linux/bin to your path. Bam.
It works. There's no need to actually install it with the distro's package
manager and put it in /usr/bin or whatnot. That's what I've been doing for ages,
regardless of my distro (I currently use Arch), and it just works without having
to worry about what the distro is up to.

So, I don't know what the best way to deal with gdc is, but for dmd, it's
insanely simple to just use the official zip file. That's what I'd recommend that
_anyone_ do in Linux, regardless of distro.

- Jonathan M Davis