Read file/stream

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 11 16:52:00 PST 2011

On Friday, March 11, 2011 14:39:43 Stewart Gordon wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 21:51, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >> Presumably there's a reason that it's been provided for uint but not
> >> ushort or ulong....
> >
> > I think things in std.intrinsic are functions that tie directly to CPU
> > features,
>
> True, but...
>
> > so presumably, the CPU only provides the possibility for 4-byte width.
>
> D is designed to run on a variety of CPUs.  Do you really think that they
> all have a built-in instruction to reverse the order of 4 bytes but no
> other number?

You end up using ntohl and htonl, I believe. They're in core somewhere. I don't
think that you necessarily get 64-bit versions versions, since unfortunately,
they're not standard. But perhaps we should add them with implementations
(rather than just declarations for C functions) for cases when they don't
exist... IIRC, I had to create 64-bit versions for std.datetime and put them in
there directly to do what I was doing, but we really should get the 64-bit
versions in druntime at some point.

- Jonathan M Davis