Want to help DMD bugfixing? Write a simple utility.

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 20 01:47:53 PDT 2011

> >> No. All you know there's a bug that's being triggered somewhere in
> >> Phobos (with -unittest). It's probably not in std.datetime.
> >> But Phobos is a horrible ball of mud where everything imports everything
> >> else, and std.datetime is near the centre of that ball. What you have to
> >> do is reduce the amount of code, and especially the number of modules,
> >> as rapidly as possible; this means getting rid of imports.
> >>
> >> To do this, you need to remove large chunks of code from the files. This
> >> is pretty simple; comment out half of the file, if it still works, then
> >> delete it. Normally this works well because typically only about a dozen
> >> lines are actually being used. After doing this about three or four
> >> times it's small enough that you can usually get rid of most of the
> >> imports. Unittests foul this up because they use functions/classes from
> >> inside the file.
> >>
> >> In the case of std.datetime it's even worse because the signal-to-noise
> >> ratio is so incredibly poor; it's really difficult to find the few lines
> >> of code that are actually being used by other Phobos modules.
> >>
> >> My experience (obviously only over the last month or so) has been that
> >> if the reduction of a bug is non-obvious, more than 10% of the total
> >> time taken to fix that bug is the time taken to cut down std.datetime.
> >
> > Hmmm. I really don't know what could be done to fix that (other than
> > making it easier to rip out the unittest blocks). And enough of
> > std.datetime depends on other parts of std.datetime that trimming it
> > down isn't (and can't be) exactly easy. In general, SysTime is the most
> > likely type to be used, and it depends on Date, TimeOfDay, and DateTime,
> > and all 4 of those depend on most of the free functions in the module.
> > It's not exactly designed in a manner which allows you to cut out large
> > chunks and still have it compile. And I don't think that it _could_ be
> > designed that way and still have the functionality that it has.
>
> The problem is purely the large fraction of the module which is devoted
> to unit tests. That's all.
>
> > I guess that this sort of problem is one that would pop up mainly when
> > dealing with compiler bugs. I have a hard time seeing it popping up with
> > your typical bug in Phobos itself. So, I guess that this is the sort of
> > thing that you'd run into and I likely wouldn't.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I really don't know how the situation could be improved though other than
> > making it easier to cut out the unit tests.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Hence the motivation for this utility. The problem exists in all
> modules, but in std.datetime it's such an obvious time-waster that I
> can't keep ignoring it.

Well, for the moment at least, if you remove the

version = testStdDateTime;
version = enableWindowsTest;

lines near the top of the file, then pretty much all of the unittest blocks
will no longer be compiled in (there might be a couple which are still
compiled in, but not many). So, that could help you until the utility that you
want is done. Unfortunately, that also means that the utility will have to be
smarter if it's going to work on std.datetime. While most of the
version(testStdDateTime) blocks are currently _inside_ of the unittest blocks,
as I've been adjusting the unit tests, I've been changing them to

version(testStdDateTime) unittest

because Andrei didn't like the extra vertical space used up by having separate
blocks for the unittest and for the version. So, for instance, if the utility
assumed that unittest was the first part of the line for a unittest block, it
wouldn't work on std.datetime (IIRC, std.algorithm would have similar
problems).

- Jonathan M Davis