Memory usage of AAs?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 06:31:26 PDT 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:20:05 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "spir" <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.2909.1301443345.4748.digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com...
>> On 03/30/2011 01:24 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> My understanding of hash tables is that they allocate a fixed size
>>> array
>>> and
>>> map keys to indicies within the range 0..predefined_length_of_the_AA.
>>>
>>> So I've been wondering, how many elements do D's built-in AAs have? And
>>> what's the content of each one, just a single pointer?
>>
>> Each element is a data structure, often called bucket (typically a link
>> list), storing (key:value) pairs for which the key, once hashed and
>> modulo-ed, maps to the given index. That's why the famous O(1) lookup
>> time
>> for hash tables is very theoretic: the constant part holds average time
>> for hashing which is very variable, plus another average time for
>> linearly
>> traversing the bucket. The latter part depends on table load factor (=
>> number of elements / number of buckets) and proper statistical
>> repartition
>> of keys into buckets.
>>
>> The key (!) points are finding a good hash func to "linearize" said
>> repartition (which depends on actual key-data domain, not only on their
>> type...), but better ones rapidly eat much time (ones used in practice
>> are
>> rather simple & fast); and finding optimal load factor, and growth
>> scheme.
>> In practice, all of this tends to make hash tables an implementation
>> nightmare (for me). I'd love to find practicle alternatives, but
>> efficient
>> binary trees also are complex and even more depend on kind of keys, I
>> guess.
>>

> Right, I know that, but that's not what I was asking. Take this
> hypothetical
> implementation:
>
> struct Bucket(TKey, TVal)
> {
>
> enum hashTableSize = ...;
>
> struct Hash(TKey, TVal)
> {
>     Bucket!(TKey, TVal)[hashTableSize] data;
>
>     TVal get(TKey key) { ... }
>     void set(TKey key, TVal value) { ... }
> }
>
> I assume that D's AA are something at least vaguely like that. My
> questions
> are:
>
> 1. What does D use for "hashTableSize"? Or does "hashTableSize" vary? If
> it
> varies, what's a typical rough ballpark size? (And just out of
> curiosity, if
> it varies, is it decided at compile-time, or does it change even at
> runtime?)

It varies.  The hash table size is not constant, the load factor is.  The
load factor is the number of elements in the hash divided by the number of
buckets.  You never want to fill up all the spaces, because the more full
you get, the more chances for collisions there are.  Essentially, the
tricky part about hashing is what to do about collisions (two elements are
different, but go in the same bucket).

So what happens is when the load factor exceeds a predefined constant
(e.g. in dcollections the load factor defaults to .75), the table
"rehashes", or increases (usually logarithmically) the size of the array,
and re-inserts all its elements.

I believe there is a minimum array size, and things are increased from
there.  I think also you can do a manual "rehash" which should adjust the
size of the array to match a certain load factor (below the maximum).

In some implementations, hashes will even shrink when the load factor goes
below a minimum (dcollections does not do this to avoid invalidating
ranges).  There are a million different ways to implement the basic hash.
The most complex part though, is usually the collision handling.  In my
algo book, there are at least 3 ways to handle collisions, and I think
there are countless more.  If you look up hashing on wikipedia, you'll get
a much better explanation.

> 2. What is "sizeof(Bucket(TKey, TVal))"? And I mean the shallow size, not
> deep size. Is it dependent on TKey or TVal? Or is it just simply a
> pointer
> to the start of a linked list (and therefore "sizeof(size_t)")?

Here is the AA implementation:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/blob/master/src/rt/aaA.d

 From that page, you can see that AA is your bucket (note this is runtime
stuff, so there are no templates), and BB is your Hash struct.  It looks
like BB has an array of AA pointers.

-Steve