Matrix creation quiz

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon May 2 04:09:36 PDT 2011

I was away.

Don:

> That would not fix this problem. You're doing arithmetic on unsigned
> values, where overflow doesn't happen.

My enhancement request about integral overflows asks for two compiler switches: one that turns signed integral overflows (at compile time or run time) into errors, and one switch that turns both signed and unsigned overflows into errors. If you use the second switch you have overflows on unsigned values too.

> -- which compiles happily on 32 bits, but won't compile on a 64 bit
> system. I think it should be rejected on all systems.

I agree. I think code that doesn't work on 64 bit systems has to not work on 32 bit ones too.

Bye,
bearophile