Linux: How to statically link against system libs?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun May 8 12:42:11 PDT 2011

"Spacen Jasset" <spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:iq69q1$1ack$1 at digitalmars.com...

> It should work,but again is depends what your target platform is. It's
> quite important that - Even on windows. At the company I am now
> contracting for we compile the software agents using visual studio 2003
> because later versions do not let the agent work with windows 98. This is
> not just a Linux phenomenon.

But at least you can still compile *on* XP+ and get the result to work on
98. And fairly easily (ie: Just use VS 2003). That sort of thing *might* be
true on Linux as well, but it seems to be either difficult or really
obscure. For instance, no one here seems to know:

Plus, there's the fact that Linux has not just different versions, but many
different distros, too. And the distros apperently tend to be somewhat
divergent in different things.

(But again, it's not like I'm saying "Windows kicks Linux's ass" or anything
like that.)

> In any case centos 4.7 is a point release of 4.0 and as such there should
> be no breaking libc changes.

Ah! Thanks, that's good to know. In fact, I was specifically wondering about
that, but I wasn't certain and didn't want to assume.