How to break module into multiple file.

Adam Burton adz21c at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:54:28 PDT 2011

Alexander wrote:

> On 18.05.2011 19:10, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> What D does is completely normal and common. It just doesn't match Java
>> and C#.
>
>   To be honest, I didn't see any single source file with ca. 30000 lines
>   in it (like std.datetime) for quite a while :)
>
>   Probably, I am old-fashioned, but this amount of code in single file
>   makes things less manageable, even if everything in this single file is
>   somehow related to each other.
>
> /Alexander
Personally I think this is where IDE developers are getting away with being
lazy. Rather than abstracting the file system away from code and letting the
user choose to see code at a class level or module level (so we work with
code on its abstract concepts) they just open a file. Yes they offer tools
to let you jump around the file to types you want but then you spend time
looking for the line of code you want before you jump back to another type
and find that line again (unless they offer line bookmarks). With multiple
files you can have both types open and leave each file at the 2 lines you
jump between. On the other hand though what happens if I am in a single
large type and moving between 2 methods? The same problem again. IDEs should
be fixing this for us.