Can someone explain how mixin is implemented?

Matthew Ong ongbp at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 06:36:45 PDT 2011

On 5/19/2011 9:18 PM, Matthew Ong wrote:
> On 5/19/2011 1:23 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> Matthew Ong Wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps I am missing something here. How can class level definition be
>>> part of the mixin?
>>>
>>> Does mixin generate the same binary code as #define as inline code,which
>>> meant that same binary is repeated everywhere that macro is used?
>>>
>>> Or does it make a linked to the in a centralized locations that allow
>>> binary sharing when it is the same typed T??
>>
>> I can see what you're trying for and it looks like you'll need string
>> mixins to make it happen.
>>
>> Mixing is similar to #define in that it does string substitution, but
>> it is unlike #define in that valid D is required declaration and call.
>> You'll have to modify this with string mixins (I'm surprised it
>> compiles excluding the non-existence of ClassB):
>>
>> mixin template AType(alias T, U, alias V){class T : ClassC {
>> private:
>> U value;
>> public:
>> this(){}
>> void print(){}
>> mixin V;
>> }
>> }
>>
>> class ClassC {}
>>
>> mixin template btype() {
>> void someFunction() {};
>> }
>>
>> mixin AType!("ClassB", string, btype);
>>
>> void main() {
>> ClassC r = new ClassB();
>> }
>>

> Hi Jesse,
> That is cool. Useful example like this should be within the
> documentation also. That helped me a lot. Now, I do not have to be
> concerned that the class level mixin usage class missed out the
> inheritance and also the implementation.
>
> This pattern is very useful for flattening the Object inheritance tree.
> D is cool!!!

Hi jesse,

I obtain error from: ClassC r = new ClassB();

src\main.d(27): Error: undefined identifier ClassB, did you mean class
ClassC?
src\main.d(27): Error: ClassB is used as a type

Somehow this information is not known to the compiler....
mixin AType!("ClassB", string, btype);

Please help.

--
Matthew Ong