web development in D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat May 21 13:08:26 PDT 2011

"joe" <joe at studiofortress.com> wrote in message
news:ir8frr$ait$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Second, from your own experience using D do think it would make a good or
> bad
> choice for a web development language?

I'd really say that a good choice for a web development language is whatever
you find to be a good choice for a language. Personally, I love D. It's my
favorite language, and out of all the languages I've used (many over the
years) it's really the only one I'm overall happy with (but then, I'm
notoriously picky ;) ). So I find D to be an excellent choice for a web
development language since I personally find D to be an excellect language.
OTOH, if someone happened to absolutely hate D, then D probably wouldn't be
a very good choice for them for a web development language.

There is one other factor to consider, though: You need to think about what
server or servers it will need to run on:

If, for example, you need it to be able to run on pretty much any shared web
host out there, then you're pretty much stuck with either PHP or something
like Haxe that compiles down to PHP. And that defintiely won't help you with
performance, and it'll only help alleviate *some* of PHP's probelms, not all
of them. That's the unfortunate state of shared web hosting :/

If, OTOH, you only need it to run on one specific server and you don't have
complete control over it (for example, if it's a shared web host, or if it's
run by some separate IT department thet you're not part of), then naturally
you'll need to see what the server supports and make your choice from those.
But keep in mind one thing I've learned the hard way: Just because they say
they support CGI does *not* necessarily mean they support CGI from a
natively compiled langauge (which D is). So make sure to get clarification
on that.

And, of course, if you have total control over the server, then naturally
you can choose whatever you want.

Oh, but unless you do have direct access to the server and total control
over it, I would recommend against ASP.NET. Not because I really have
anything against ASP.NET, Windows or MS, per se. It's just that ASP.NET
typically requires a Windows server, and shared Windows hosts usually don't
provide any way to set up things like file permissions and internal URL
rewriting. And not being able to do those things can often be a problem.