web development in D

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun May 22 12:59:35 PDT 2011

Robert Clipsham wrote:
> Have you tried FastCGI?

I haven't. I read about it but concluded it would actually be just
about as difficult to implement as a minimalist http server, so
I never went into it.

(http itself is hard to get all the corner cases right, but if you
live behind something like Apache, you can get by without a full
implementation.

But in both cases, you have to write a fast network layer, and
that's the harder part.)

Besides though, there's a penalty between D in CGI and D with
long lived processes.... but D in CGI beats PHP a lot of the
time, so it still wins.

I wonder how D/cgi stacks up against a long lived Python or
Ruby process. I doubt they'd do better than embedded PHP, but
I haven't tried them so I'm not sure.