[beginner] Why nothing is printed to stdout ?

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Tue Nov 1 13:31:32 PDT 2011

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:18:02 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 18:23:52 Graham Fawcett wrote:

>> > Huh, must port windows console to linux ^_^
>>
>> Too much work! Just put
>>
>>   alias test='./test'
>>
>> in your .profile, and be happy. :)
>
> Though if you don't get used to putting ./ in front of the names of
> binaries that you're running in the current directory, you're going to
> have other problems. The suggestion does fix the occasional screw-up
> with that particular command though.

Agreed; if you're going to use a system, learn how to use it properly.

Then again, there's no shame in using "training wheels" if you're an
absolute beginner. When I started using Unix, I was glad that the "dir"
command was available on the system I was using. (I'm not sure if it was
a binary, or whether a kindly sysop had provided an alias to "ls" for us
Windows users). Learning is a journey of many small steps!

Graham