AI Challenge - Ants

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Tue Nov 8 11:03:34 PST 2011

Am 23.10.2011, 19:52 Uhr, schrieb Jesse Phillips
<jessekphillips+d at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:24:09 +0200, maarten van damme wrote:
>
>> I'm noticing some problems, there are some methods missing used in the
>> tutorial like "unocupied", the do_setup part and the visible method. Is
>> this package complete or am I missing something?
>> I'm noticing some problems, there are some methods missing used in
>> the tutorial like "unocupied", the do_setup part and the
>> visible method. Is this package complete or am I missing something?
>
> It doesn't appear to perfectly match the tutorial. I'm not sure if the
> tutorial is intended to have you write in the details (didn't check if
> the Java version provided them). But that is what I did anyway.
>
> The one issue I've run into is trying to use the seed, details in the
> Random, not so random? post.

Sorry for not checking back here. When I wrote the D starter bot, the
tutorial didn't exist yet and I didn't do anything with it later on except
keeping it up to date with the game specs. If the Java/Python bots have
this functionality it should have been added and I believe that other
starter bots miss it as well. It is a bit of a mixed blessing though,
because it doesn't define if a square changes its 'occupied' state when
you issue an order for an ant to move onto it. The visible() function
sounds nice to have though :p. It is needed to distinguish between items
that went out-of-sight and those that were collected/destroyed in any case.
Funnily, after writing the visualizer, the D and Pascal starter bots and
advertising the contest a bit I don't feel like participating in it any
more. :)