Impure static

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Nov 9 05:16:38 PST 2011

This little D2 program, a pure function contains static variables initialized with calls to not pure functions:

int foo() {
    return 1;
}
pure int bar() {
    enum int x1 = foo();
    static immutable int x2 = foo();
    return x1;
}
void main() {}

The latest DMD gives:

test.d(5): Error: pure function 'bar' cannot call impure function 'foo'
test.d(5):        called from here: foo()
test.d(5):        called from here: foo()
test.d(6): Error: pure function 'bar' cannot call impure function 'foo'
test.d(6):        called from here: foo()
test.d(6):        called from here: foo()

I think I asked a similar question in past, is it right to expect DMD to compile this program?

Bye and thank you,
bearophile