Array initialization quiz

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 08:46:39 PST 2011

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:54:11 -0500, Xinok <xinok at live.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:06:11 -0500, Jonathan M Davis
>> <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> The type of the index should be irrelavent to the underlying loop
>> mechanism.
>>
>> Note that the issue is really that foreach(T i, val; arr) {...}
>> translates to for(T i = 0; i < arr.length; ++i) {auto val = arr[i]; ...}
>>
>> Why can't it be (aside from the limitation in for-loop syntax, but you
>> get the idea): for(size_t _i = 0, T i = _i; _i < arr.length; i = ++_i)
>> {auto val = arr[_i]; ...}
>>
>> Same issue with foreach(i; -10..10), what if I wanted to do foreach
>> (ubyte i; ubyte.min..ubyte.max + 1). This should not result in an
>> infinite loop, I should be able to use foreach to iterate all the values
>> of ubyte. The compiler should just "figure out" how to do it right.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> This actually doesn't compile:
> foreach (ubyte i; ubyte.min..ubyte.max + 1)
> Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (256) of type int to ubyte
>
> It's a little more to type, but just write a property which does an
> explicit cast:
>
> foreach(_i; ubyte.min .. ubyte.max + 1){
> 	ubyte i(){ return cast(ubyte)_i; }
> }

This is hugely inefficient...

foreach(_i; ubyte.min..ubyte.max + 1){
     ubyte i = cast(ubyte)_i;
}

But my point was, foreach over a range gives me all the elements in a
range, regardless of how the underlying loop is constructed.  The
limitation by the compiler is artificial.

I remember at one point there was someone who had actual code that
resulted in a loop for ubytes, or was trying to figure out how to foreach
over all possible ubyte values.

-Steve