check for running process

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 08:05:02 PDT 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 10:38:58 -0400, Dsmith <Dsmith at nomail.com> wrote:

> In the core.thread library, there is a method isRunning() which takes a
> thread.
>
> To make code more portable, rather than use a system call or getenv(),
> how might
> isRunning() be adapted to check if a program is running?
> Ideally: isrunning(program_name);

It cannot.  isRunning checks a local boolean, it does not do any OS
queries.

Now, once you have a reference to a running process, I'd say it's probably
possible to add isRunning methods that call on the OS functions.  Given a
process ID, getting information about the process is pretty
straightforward.  I think this might be a good addition to std.process if
it's not already in there.

It's just the getting of the pid based on the name is not straightforward.

-Steve