How convice people that D it's wonderfull in a hour ?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 07:52:47 PDT 2011

On 09.10.2011 14:00, Zardoz wrote:
> Recently I've been asked if I could give a speech about D in my university. It
> will be of one hour of long.
> I not respond yet, but I think that I will do it. Actually I have the problem
> that I don't know well how explain well too many features and things of D that
> I like. I think that only talking about D's arrays and type system I will need
> around half-hour.
> Any recommendation of how I should focus it ?

Depending on the audience if I'd be giving a talk to a gang of C++
programmers I'd try to focus on small separate cool topics like:
  -arrays & slices, with optional GC
  -delegates & nested functions
  -scope(exit/success/failure)
  -simple uses of CTFE
Then maybe clean template with static if & template constraints, maybe
variadic template and alias params, maybe codegen with string mixin.
Stuff like typeof(...) and __traits usually blows mind off way too early.

Based on my (limited) experience with fellow programmers it's only hurts
to go into greater detail, it causes thoughts like 'as huge as C++ and
with a pack of new pitfalls' and little to no enthusiasm. So you'd have
to place your bet on a few prime features (e.g. 3 like in one of Andrei
talk). And then you can casually present a short list of other cool
features and say a thing or two about them, not forgetting that there is
even more.

--
Dmitry Olshansky