Looking for documentation of D's lower-level aspects.

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:39:08 PDT 2011

Sean Silva Wrote:

> I have just finished reading Alexandrescu's The D Programming Language, but it
> doesn't seem to talk at all about how to use D as a stand-in for C/C++ almost at
> all. E.g., the part of D that doesn't depend on a runtime or garbage collector.

There isn't any real documentation on this. Kind of stuff. Instead you can find some links that try to teach D for C programmers.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ComingFrom/PlainC

Also, in terms of programming without a GC, very little has been done on this front to make it easy. There has been talk about a compiler switch to help with it and a stubbed GC. Right now D isn't ready to be used in this fashion, imo, but someone is more than welcome to run with it and make it a reality.

But doing low-level things with the GC is still possible and similar to C.