Looking for documentation of D's lower-level aspects.

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 10:04:57 PDT 2011

== Quote from Jonathan M Davis (jmdavisProg at gmx.com)'s article
> The built-in sort on arrays is going away. std.algorithm.sort should
be used
> instead. I'm afraid that I don't understand what your comments on
the STL have
> to do with the GC though. And stuff in Phobos (such as
std.algorithm) is very
> much like the STL - only it uses ranges instead of iterators. The
main item
> lacking is a comprehensive list of containers, and the main reason
that
> std.container doesn't have more yet is because the custom allocator
stuff is
> still being sorted out, and Andrei doesn't want to implement them
all and then
> have to change them to work with custom allocators. So, once that's
done, I
> don't know what the STL would really give you that Phobos doesn't.
> - Jonathan M Davis

I don't doubt anything that you just said. But as you said, Phobos
*currently* doesn't have what I want, which is an issue if I am
wanting to develop code now or soon. The path of least resistance in
the interim is to just implement some familiar STL containers in such
a way that they work with std.algorithm, and just use them.

Also, do you know whether any of Andrei's thoughts on the directions
he wants to take std.container are available online? I'm just curious
because I've seen mention of an article "Sealed Containers" he was
going to write, but it seems that it fell through. I'm just interested
because if I'm going to be writing containers from scratch, I would
like to take some of his ideas and put them into practice, both to be
forward-looking to what std.container will eventually have, and to
maybe help out by field-testing some of the ideas.