An issue with setting delegates via templates

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:24:53 PDT 2011

class Foo
{
    void func(double) { }
    void func(int) { }

    void set(T)(T handler) { dg = handler; }
    void delegate(int) dg;
}

void main()
{
    auto foo = new Foo;
    foo.set(&foo.func);  // NG, func(double) is picked up first
}

Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (handler) of type void
delegate(double _param_0) to void delegate(int)

The problem here is that `void func(double)` is declared first, and
that's what the address-of operator picks up. If you swap the two
overloads this sample will compile.

How could this be worked around /while still using templates/? There
can only be one topmost function overload, so with two overloads this
can be worked around, but with more overloads this workaround can't be
used.

I've almost found a workaround via the getOverloads trait:

import std.traits;

class Foo
{
    void func(double) { }
    void func(int) { }

    void set(T)(T handler)
    {
        dg = handler;
    }

    void delegate(int) dg;
}

void main()
{
    auto foo = new Foo;
    foo.set(&__traits(getOverloads, foo, "func")[1]);
}

This works, but I can't use this from within a template. IOW, I can't
pass a function pointer to a template and then figure out if that
function is actually an overload of some class. I'd need more powerful
compile-time features for that. If I were able to do that then I could
enumerate all the overloads and pick one if it matches the type of
'dg'. It's kind of overkill but it could work, at least theoretically.

Otherwise I'd really need a way to explicitly specify which function
overload to pass when I use the address-of operator, but that would
probably have to be a language feature.