D on other platforms than Win,Lin,Mac?

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:40:38 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Johannes Pfau <spam at example.com> wrote:

> Trass3r wrote:
> >> I've heard that our company is considering the T20 from Toradex.com
> >> for a new project with remote hardware. The platform runs on Nvidia
> >> Tegra and Linux.
> >>
> >> Since I have been very impressed by the D programming language, for
> >> some years now, could it be possible to use D in such projects?
> >
> >You'd have to use gdc or ldc and patch at least druntime.
> >Some people already managed to get stuff running on ARM but it's
> >tricky.
>
> At least for gdc only hello-world like code works. Real code hits this
> issue:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/issue/215/alignment-of-struct-members-wrong-on-arm
>
> This also applies to all platforms which aren't supported by dmd.
>
> > I think the GC is problematic, thus you also have to avoid
> >most of phobos.
>
> The GC seems to work if druntime is compiled with
> -fno-section-anchors , but no real testing was done.
> https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/issue/120/fsection-anchors-broken-on-arm
> might also be caused by bug 215.

+1

If you're looking at an ARMv7 platform (my Tegra is ARMv7, dunno if they all
are), I believe you can set the Linux kernel to handle faults caused by
unaligned memory accesses, which *should* make D run with a performance hit
until this bug gets fixed. Keep in mind that the library situation is
largely untested, although Iain seems to have quietly done a lot of work in
Druntime at some point to make it all build. Once I've got my Tegra up and
running (need a serial cable - it's in the mail), I'll be able to say more.