D on other platforms than Win,Lin,Mac?

Andrew Wiley wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:53:26 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Trass3r" <un at known.com> wrote in message news:op.v1edf3bj3ncmek at enigma...
> >> I've heard that our company is considering the T20 from Toradex.com for
> >> a new project with remote hardware. The platform runs on Nvidia Tegra
> >> and Linux.
> >>
> >> Since I have been very impressed by the D programming language, for some
> >> years now, could it be possible to use D in such projects?
> >
> > You'd have to use gdc or ldc and patch at least druntime.
> > Some people already managed to get stuff running on ARM but it's tricky.
> > I think the GC is problematic, thus you also have to avoid most of
> phobos.
>
> For a language that aims at C/C++'s domain, it's extremely depressing that
> this is still the case. I *really* think this needs to be one of D's top
> priorities at this point. I honestly see it as D's #1 biggest glaring hole
> ATM (Honestly, I've always cared about embedded/non-x86 processors *far*
> more than the native 64-bit support that got enormous attention awhile
> back). 'Course I'm kinda just blowing smoke out my ass since I
> unfortunately
> have neither the time nor ability to help tackle this goal :(

The problem is that the most direct way to do this is to use a compiler
backend that isn't Digital Mars, and there's far fewer people working on
other backends. This is why I asked whether anything had happened with GCC
inclusion a while back. If that could happen, D would get a large leap
forward in this area.

I agree that a systems language that only works on x86/x86_64 is a
depressing concept, and I think it's about to become unacceptable in the
next few years.