D, DLLs, UnrealScript and UDK (Sort of a complex question)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Sep 19 03:21:15 PDT 2011

lsc9x:

> So, I was poking around looking at C++ books and I wondered "Gee, I know there
> were languages A, C, C, C++ and C#, I wonder if there is a "D" language.
>
> Surprise!  There is!
>
> Not only that, but D sounds like a better language for me to learn than C++

The best language of the world will be Z, with a working compiler released about in 2150 dC :-)

> Can I write a "windows" DLL file in D that would have functions that can be
> accessible from a compiled C++ program?

That interface looks C. I think you have to create two little D functions to manage those UFT16 3-memeber-struct strings. I think you don't need to learn the whole D to try to do what you want to do. It's a small experiment, that I think is worth doing. But I think eventually you will have to learn C++ too, it's hard to program games today without C++ knowledge.

Bye,
bearophile