how do I use newsgroup server?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Sep 30 13:14:59 PDT 2011

"%u" <yoyo at yo.com> wrote in message news:j656f0$hpm$1 at digitalmars.com...
> == Quote from Nick Sabalausky (a at a.a)'s article
>> "%u" <yoyo at yo.com> wrote in message
> news:j655f0$fm8$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > I go to digitalmars to read digitalmars.D.learn newsgroup, but
>> > have to click the http link.  The http interface is kind of
>> > awkward.  I'd like to try the newsgroup link.
>> >
>> > But, I don't know how to use it.  How do I?  Is there a client
>> > can download and use for free that you recommend?  I did a
> search
>> > and found a few usenet readers.  Can I use that?  I'd like to
> give
>> > it a try, but these days, I don't know if I can trust the
> sites.
>> >
>> > Anyways, thanks!
>> Pretty much any email client. (That is, *real* email clients, not
> that
>> webmail junk.) I use Outlook Express ("Windows Mail" in the Mac-
> alike
>> versions of Windows). Many people here use Thunderbird. And I'm
> told that
>> Opera has a built-in NG client that some people like too.
>
> I guess I don't know how to setup my outlook client to use the news
> link?  When I click the news link.  Nothing happens.

I don't have access to a Win7 machine ATM, but on both XP and Vista, you can
do:

Tools -> Accounts. There will be a button for "Add". Click that and then you
can choose "News". And just fill in all the info. The (NNTP) server is
"news.digitalmars.com", and it doesn't take a login.

Then you should see the news server in the big tree on the left side of the
main window. You can choose which groups to subscribe to (digitalmars.D,
digitalmars.D.learn, etc.). When you're subscribes to one, you can go to it
and click the "Headers" button to check for messages (at least that's what
it is in on XP). Downloading the headers might take awhile the first time.

> So, I tried
> downloading this 'seamonkey' newsreader.  When I installed it, and
> clicked the d-learning news link, a browser appears,but I don't
> have any postings.

I don't know anything about seamonkey :/