Up to date documentation on D implementation.

Jesse Phillips Jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 15:07:03 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 5 April 2012 at 21:10:41 UTC, ReneSac wrote:

> I will probably program close to C/Lua style (the languages I'm
> most proficient with), but "pretty far" is vague. And I haven't
> been following the time line of the feature additions, like old
> users do, and I'm not sure if I should read the entire
> changelog for some vague indication of the stability of a
> feature...

The page I liked does have compiler versions for some of the
implemented features, as you appear to have noticed.

>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel
>
> Ok, that page gives some pointers. Seems like I shouldn't use
> std.stream. So, std.cstream or std.stdio are safe?

Hmm, bring up a good point, I think someone is working on
revamping stdio, though I would think it would mostly remain
compatible. Who's doing that? Could you write the details here:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ReviewQueue

> Dynamic Arrays, Slicing, Unittest, conditional compilation and
> compile time function execution should be working well, right?

Yep, there are some requested improvements but, things are stable.

> What about std.paralelism and message passing, non-shared
> multithreading?

I'm not sure how much use they have been getting, so it is hard
to say. I know there have been questions about how to use them,
but they seem solid.

If you get into using shared though, you'll probably walk into
areas that will require casting to get things done. I don't know
what if any changes are planned, but likely it needs a closer
look.

> And I still don't know how to generate windows executables.. If
> it is really impossible to compile D in Windows 64 bits, then
> what is the best compiler for Linux?

Sorry, forgot to cover that. I believe GDC will compile 64bit
Windows applications, but otherwise you can still compile and run
32bit applications.

Most people use DMD, but GDC, I hear, should be on par.