D1, D2, Tango, Phobos, Std, Runtime

Paul phshaffer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 08:28:37 PDT 2012

I was reading a wiki about D and it talked about Tango vs.
Phobos.  I read some items on runtime vs. standard libraries as
well.  I am bit confused about all of it.  Are the standard
libraries compiled into every exe and then the runtimes linked as
needed?  Are they all or nothing entities?  In other words if I
need a function to I have to include the whole library in my exe?
  Is Tango the latest and Phobos the original?  Which should a new
programmer start with?  Appreciate your patience(s).