Up to date documentation on D implementation.

ReneSac reneduani at yahoo.com.br
Fri Apr 6 21:51:52 PDT 2012

On Friday, 6 April 2012 at 01:33:10 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> DMD runs just fine on 64-bit Windows.
Then why "32 bit Windows (Win32) operating system, such as
Windows XP" is put as a requirement? This should be corrected:
http://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html

Anyway, in the mean time I have setup GDC using the latest
binaries, and it is working well.

The only thing I noticed is that a simple "Hello World" took
several seconds to compile, and ended up with 1.25MB (release,
non-debug build)! And I thought that D was fast to compile... But
then I discovered that switching to std.c.stdio made the
compilation almost instantaneous, and the executable size a
slightly more reasonable 408KB. It works, but that isn't really
an option, as D strings aren't readily compatible with C
strings...

I know that the lower limiter in binary size is higher, due to
the statically compiled runtime, but this "bloat" in the std lib
for a single function worries me a bit. Is DMD better in this
measurement, or is it a limitation of the current D libraries?

This may be kinda important latter, as in compression benchmarks,
the decompressor size is added in the compressed size to prevent
cheating. I don't want a multi-megabyte executable size.