Input from a newbie

Jonas jonas at lophus.org
Sat Apr 7 15:21:35 PDT 2012

Hello D community! :-)

I was looking for a sane, object-oriented,
possible-to-go-low-level programming language, so I decided to
give D a try today.

Here's some feedback on the things I had/have trouble with. I
hope some of this may be valuable for you.

1) First off, I really couldn't figure out were I was supposed to
post this sort of message.  Apparently there aren't any mailing
lists (a la Google groups) for D?

2) I couldn't find any good documentation on the build process
and tools I'm supposed to use. Do you guys use standard
Makefiles? Do you have your own build system? Would be really
helpful if that was covered on the website.

3) While your error messages are a lot better than GCCs (gives
you more context, hints about how the compiler interpreted your
buggy program, etc) it wouldn't hurt if you made them a bit more
graphical using colors and markers and such (LLVM like).

4) What's the difference between `... foo(MyObject obj) { ... }`
and `foo(MyObject* obj)`? What are use cases for explicit
pointers when passing objects? That's not covered in the
documentation AFAIT.

5) What's wrong with this program? Is it that `printf` doesn't
understand D strings? If so, how do I use D strings in string
formatting?

import std.stdio;

string foo() { return "foobar"; }

int main() {