Input from a newbie

Jonas H. jonas at lophus.org
Mon Apr 9 11:38:23 PDT 2012

On 04/09/2012 07:22 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I think most mentions of printf should just be removed from the dpl
> docs except maybe a few special places. People (or rather C++
> refugees) seem to expect D to be a syntax sugared version of C++, but
> this myth has to be busted.

I don't think that's true, or at least I didn't think of D like that.
It becomes pretty clear after reading the introduction that D does not
try to emulate C++, let alone be compatible to C(++).

Nevertheless, because the syntax and terminology are quite similar,
people expect stuff to have the same names. That's why I expected the
standard printing function to be named `printf` and this attempt failed
miserably, without any guidance from the compiler/stdlib/whatever.