Name of files causes error. Why?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 06:37:23 PDT 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:30:50 -0400, Xan <xancorreu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 11 April 2012 at 19:50:18 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Now, you *can* possibly name the module differently using a module
>> statement, but this is highly discouraged.  If you do this, the only
>> way another module can import your differently-named module is if you
>> pass the file on the command line.
>>

> But it's a messy limitation. Why we should have it? For C++
> compatibilities?

No.  C++ has no requirements for file names.  But C++ also doesn't have a
module system.  There are many benefits we get from having an actual
module system.  For instance, D doesn't need namespaces.

The requirement is pretty straightforward -- name your module files after
the modules they contain.  It works pretty well in many module-oriented
languages, such as Java and C#, and I would argue D.

-Steve