Clearly Label D1/D2/Tango/Phobos

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Apr 18 07:53:24 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 04:15:12PM +0200, Somedude wrote:
> Le 18/04/2012 14:34, Paul a écrit :
> > I bought the book and am trying to patiently learn this language.  I
> > follow various tutorials here and around the web that frequently
> > won't compile.  I suspect it has something to do with
> > D1/D2/Phobos/Tango and not just really poor unvetted tutorials.  It
> > would really be helpful if those providing references, code
> > snippets, tutorials, etc clearly identify the context (i.e
> > D1/D2/Phobos/Tango).  I just think it would help accelerate the
> > spread and acceptance of this language if more of the code worked as
> > listed.

dlang.org is the official source for the current version of D.

> > If people are out cruising the web and download a fresh copy of D
> > with excitement (about a cleaned-up, updated c-type systems
> > language) and then the first several things don't compile w/o
> > errors, they're going to move on.
> >
> > Thanks so much to all who provide references, tutorials, etc!  It is
> > great service in helping others learn.  I hope this is seen as
> > constructive criticism for that is what it is.

Unfortunately there isn't really a way to "deprecate" the D1-specific
tutorials floating out on the web right now... we could do with more
publicity for dlang.org and other up-to-date D sites, though.

[...]
> It's simple: use D2, and forget about Tango.
[...]

+1.

It is the quality rather than the quantity that matters. -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca