opPropDispatch

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 22 18:12:11 PDT 2012

On Monday, April 23, 2012 02:40:42 Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 22 April 2012 at 23:54:17 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > Well, strict enforcement is how @property was designed in the
> > first place (and is how it's described in TDPL).
>
> That doesn't affect my argument at all,
>
> People actually use the implementation as it is, which
> is a superset of the TDPL definition.
>
> Enforcing that definition breaks code and, if anything,
> adds only minor maintenance benefits.
>
> It'd be easier to strike the word "must" from future
> printings of the book than to fix all D code everywhere.

Well, I'm firmly in the camp of people who think that property is very broken
if it's not strictly enforced and that the current laxity is horrible. I think
that the breakage is _well_ worth the gain. Regardless, the current plan is
that strict enforcement will become the normal behavior.

- Jonathan M Davis