Docs: Section on local variables

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:55:31 PDT 2012

On 4/25/12, Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What is the distinction you're making exactly?
> You mean an empty if body should trigger something?  Or shouldn't?

I'm saying those are exactly the cases presented in the docs and I
don't want them to warn by default but have a setting. I mean, the
first case (warn on unused variables), I just might get used to. But
warning on reading before writing is an extreme change from current
behavior imho.

> Sometimes a constructor may hook the object up to
> something.

Yup. E.g.:

class Foo
{
    static Foo[] objects;
    this()
    {
        objects ~= this;

IIRC I've seen this used in Harmonia and maybe in some places on some
github project (I think it was actually the D forum software). The
compiler might not even know what the ctor does if all it has is the
.di file of the module where the class is defined.