Pointer to variables in D

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 22:40:19 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 26 April 2012 at 05:16:51 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Besides, D's auto-deferencing semantics on  pointers
> makes the difference barely noticeable anyway. Pointers
> auto-deference when using '.' member notation, for example. Once
> in a while  you have to explicitly dereference a pointer or
> take an address, but those are very rare.

  I was noticing that. Thankfully in the case where I'm using it,
I have maybe 4 dereferences, total, and likely most aren't needed
if I go through them again. To paraphrase Andrei (from memory):
'D is the only language that consistently does the right thing
(most of the time)'

  Perhaps pointers can be considered 'finer control' in some cases
with auto-dereference. The more the language changes and gets
better, the more and more I want to see it become more popular.

  Although not directly related, I'm finding it funny how C++ is
finally catching up on some of the features D has; But will
always fall short (auto, lambdas, etc; and heavy discourage of
using delete now)