Docs: Section on local variables

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 26 15:07:35 PDT 2012

On 26/04/2012 22:52, bearophile wrote:
<snip>
> For uncommon situations like isInputRange a specific annotation
> solves the problem cleanly.

As does the compiler swallowing warnings in the content of an IsExpression as I already
suggested.

<snip>
> How many C/C++ programmers do you know that use lints?  I think not
> enough.  The Microsoft C++ compiler and Clang are adding more and
> more compile-time tests, replacing lints, this a trend D designers
> can't ignore.  So saying "leave it to lints" it's almost like
> saying "ignore the problem".

I agree.
http://dlang.org/overview.html
under "Who D is for": "Programmers who routinely use lint or similar code analysis tools
to eliminate bugs before the code is even compiled."

My impression from this has been that D aims to eliminate (or at least minimise) the need
to use lint-type tools, by making the code smells lint is made to catch illegal code and
therefore caught by the compiler.

Stewart.