Why must bitfields sum to a multiple of a byte?

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 05:42:36 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 12:35:20 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Please don't. The effort on the programmer side is virtually
> nil, and keeps things in check. In no case would the use of
> bitfields() be so intensive that the bloat of one line gets any
> significance.>

  If you're using a template or something to fill in the sizes,
then having to calculate the remainder could be an annoyance; but
those cases would be small in number.

  I'll agree, and it's best leaving it as it is.

  BTW, Wasn't there a new/reserved type of cent/ucent (128bit)?