Link against MinGW libraries

Kai Meyer kai at gnukai.com
Wed Aug 22 07:56:39 PDT 2012

There's got to be a way to link against libraries generated by
MinGW, right? I'm using CMake to create a very simple 1 method
library. If I tell D to link against the .lib (simple ar
archive), it complains that it's an invalid library. If I tell D
to link against the .dll, it complains that there is no .lib.

I seem to remember thinking that Microsoft tools create a .dll
and a .lib for development libraries, and you link against the
.lib but run against the .dll. I don't know how to make MinGW (or
cmake for that matter) generate both the .dll and .lib. I seem to
remember that other projects I've built with the Visual Studio
compiler, I get .lib and .dll files for my shared libraries, and
those seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.