abnormal program termination

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Tue Aug 28 09:55:17 PDT 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:59:34 +0100, Ellery Newcomer
<ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu> wrote:

> On 08/28/2012 06:37 AM, Regan Heath wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 01:10:05 +0100, Ellery Newcomer
>> <ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I am running into an ICE on windows - Assertion Failure on
>>> such-and-such line in mtype.c - and I am trying to get a test command
>>> for to reduce it with the redoubtable dustmite.
>>>
>>> Normally, 'abnormal program termination' is printed to the console;
>>> however if I try to redirect stderr for greppage purposes, windows
>>> presents me with a message box with the same message.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to disable this abomination?
>>
>> Can you show us an example of how you're redirecting stderr..

> dmd stuff 2>&1

I searched the DMD sources, just in case the message "abnormal program
termination" was DMD specific, and I found nothing.  Then I searched all
files and the string appears in the dmd.exe binary, making me suspect the
compiler used to produce dmd.exe put it there, so perhaps there is a dmc
option to disable it.

If that's not it..

What Windows are you on?  Do you have visual studio or another JIT
debugger installed?

I am on Windows 7 x64 and I have been playing with a test.exe (built in VS
in debug mode).

I can't get my version of windows to output "abnormal program termination"
no matter what I tried to make my application do assert, throw exception,
divide by zero, illegal pointer/memory write, etc.

If I do an assert(0) I see:

...>test
Assertion failed: 0, file ...\test.cpp, line 27

plus a popup window saying:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library"
"Debug Error!
  Program:

way.

  (Press Retry to debug the application)"

I suspect the popup is a hook into the JIT debugger I have installed
(visual studio).  By default some versions of windows use DrWatson
(drwtsn32.exe), later versions use something else.

Google found me this tho, might be helpful:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alejacma/archive/2011/02/18/how-to-disable-the-pop-up-that-windows-shows-when-an-app-crashes.aspx