Type aliasing

js.mdnq js_adddot+mdng at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 08:34:49 PST 2012

I have a static class that generates unique ID's. The id's are
hardcoded as ints.

I would like to make this extensible and allow for other integer
numeric values to be(byte, ulong, etc...).

I can simply make the static class generic without issues.

The problem is the return type of the Get ID function, while
generic, requires hardcoding the saved ID in a class.

e.g.,

class myclass {
    int ID;
}

while I want ID's type to be that of the uniqueID's type.

e.g.,

class myclass {
    auto ID = uniqueID!T.Get();
}

would make ID a type T (T is defined by the user and known at
compile time). In another class one might use a different type.

Is anything like this possible? It is purely for convenience as
I'm trying to avoid having to change the type at two or more
places.