variable x cannot be read at compile time (ctfe)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Dec 17 12:52:52 PST 2012

maarten van damme:

> it's odd that the resulting arraylist is slower to access at
> runtime
> then the arraylist generated at runtime... Is there a reason
> for this?

In such cases, beside thinking some time about the topic, one
solution is to take a look at the asm.

Maybe it's the same problem as with enum arrays, they get copied
like literals every time you use them.

> Should I open bugreports for your testcases?

I think the secondo program, that just calls array(), doesn't
show a problem that's meant to be fixed.

Regarding the first with filter, I think it's a known temporary
limitation of CTFE (caused by nested lambdas). I am not sure
because DMD used to give a more specific error message for this
limitation.

So I think they don't need to be reported.

Bye,
bearophile